We are now accepting submissions for all books due for publication in April, May and June 2019. The submission window is open from the 1st November to the 4th December.
- Submissions are invited for the following categories: Choice and Recommendation.
- The publication date of all submissions must fall within the Summer PBS quarter: April to June 2019.
- Publication must not subsequently be brought forward or delayed.
- Books may be submitted here in word doc manuscript, proof, typescript, fully finished or PDF form
- Any publication for which the poet or poets has paid, in part or whole, is not eligible.
- A book is defined as having at least 48 pages. Publications shorter than this may be submitted to the Pamphlet Choice category.
- Posthumous collections are eligible for the Choice or Recommendation categories only if published within one year of the poet’s death, but they may be eligible for the Special Commendation category.
- Submitted work must be first published in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland.
- This includes simultaneous publication (within one year) in other countries.
- All book orders are placed on a sale or return basis
- No carriage costs or small order surcharges should apply.
- The PBS sells books to its members at discounts of at least 25%.
- The Choice must be a new book of poems in English by one author.
- Books jointly written by two poets are also be eligible but must have been produced collaboratively
- Books which contain more than 20% translations (or versions, imitations or any poetry inspired by the work of one or more other writers) are not be eligible for the Choice.
- Percentages are calculated on the total number of lines of poetry in a book.
- The publication price of the Choice cannot be less than £5.95 and should not exceed £12.99
- Copies of the Choice must reach the PBS distributor early enough for PBS members to receive their copies on or before publication date.
- The publisher agrees to the PBS potentially selling / distributing books to members ahead of the official publication date, if the books are published at the end of the quarter.
- The PBS purchases between 800-1200 copies of the Choice at an agreed price of £2.25 (SOR).
- Subsequent orders of the Choice within three months of purchase date will also be at the agreed net price. All further orders will be made at the standard minimum 55% discount sale or return.
- The publisher agrees to print Poetry Book Society Choice on the outside cover of all editions.
- Recommendations can be a new book of poems in English by one or more authors, an anthology of contemporary poetry or a volume of collected or selected work.
- Books which contain more than 20% but less than 80% translations (or imitations or any poetry inspired by the work of one or more other writers) are eligible for Recommendations.
- Percentages should be calculated on the total number of lines of poetry in a book.
- Versions are eligible for Recommendations.
- There is no lower publication price limit but they should not exceed £15.00.
- If this is the case manuscripts should not be submitted without prior consultation with the PBS office and publishers should be prepared to supply the PBS at a price of £6.50 per copy.
- At least 20% of the poems in the collection must not have been published before in book form.
- The PBS purchases copies of the Recommendations at an agreed minimum discount of 55% sale or return.
- The same discount applies to reorders.
- The publisher agrees to print Poetry Book Society Recommendation on the outside cover of all editions.
- A poem from each of the Selected books is printed in the relevant quarterly Bulletin.
- These are also included on A3 posters with teaching tips for Education members.
- Reproduction of these poems is directly linked to the marketing of relevant books.
- We also use poem extracts and book covers as part of our social media and eletter marketing.
- If you do not wish us to feature your poems in this manner, please notify us.
- We will request full permission if we need to reproduce poems for other purposes – e.g. postcards
- The Choice - publishers must guarantee that our initial order (800-1000min) will be delivered to our mailing-house by our requested date (e.g. first weekday of the month of Bulletin publication).
- Failure to deliver the books on time will necessitate an extra mailing to our Full members, so that they can order other books despite the late arrival of the Choice. The publisher of the late Choice will then be invoiced for the difference in cost between our usual mailing and the extra mailing.
- Recommendations - publishers must also guarantee that our initial order will be at our mailing-house by the date agreed by the PBS (e.g. first weekday of the month of Bulletin publication).
- Failure to deliver the books on time will necessitate an extra mailing to our Charter members and again, the difference between our usual mailing costs and the two mailings will be charged to the publisher.
- If more than one publisher is late the costs will be shared between them.
- If we discover that a title submitted for one quarter has been published in the preceding quarter we will remove it from our listings and may have to withdraw a selection award.
- This formal agreement of dates aims to avoid problems and enable our members to have as long as possible in which to select and purchase books from all featured publishers.
- If one tardy title holds the entire operation up then a charge for extra mailing is the fairest way of ensuring this does not adversely affect everybody else.
In submitting manuscripts for consideration by the PBS Selectors, publishers agree to be bound by the above guidelines and trade terms.
We look forward to working with you to help promote your books in the future.
All enquiries to the Poetry Book Society, Churchill House, 12 Mosley Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1DE. Tel: 0191 230 8100 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org